Saturday, October 26, 2013

September 23, 2013

Family and Friends,
 
Yup, Riverhead. Tuesday at transfer meetings I received the call to serve there. I was so thrilled and humbled to be able to return to this beloved area. And I have received very warm welcomes from the members here. Nearly all of them had astonished looks on their faces when they saw me once more. Because I came here so long ago, nearly a year and a half ago, they all believed I had already returned home. What an amusing surprise to all of them when they realized I would be back here for one more transfer.
 
My companion is Elder Pincock. He is from Blackfoot, Idaho. He is such an awesome companion!!! We have a lot of fun together and we are working very diligently. He has had a few struggles in the mission thusfar, but we are doing great together. This is his second transfer out in the field, so I am finishing training him. One of my main objectives over this next few weeks is to put Elder Pincock in a position to really make this branch flourish. Seeing as how I dont have too long and chances are he could be here well into next year, I really want to help him get acquainted with the area well enough to work miracles here!
 
I've been able to reconnect with a few people that I taught over a year ago. One of the families being Fernando and Karla. I'm not sure if you remember them, but last year Elder Lunt and I found them and started working with them. Since that point they have become one of my most favorite families in the entire mission! We stopped by there place a couple nights ago and when Fernando answered the door he just about passed out from surprise. It was so wonderful being able to see them again. They are still going through a really tough situation. Because of some weird complexities of the law, if they get married then it will take them practically forever to become legal. But I guess Fernando has a chance to become legal a lot sooner. So that is why they are waiting. It's tough to see, and I just wish they would get married now, no matter the earthly consequence, but it is their choice to make. When I left Riverhead the first time, Karla was very pregnant. Now, they have a very rambunxious little one year old girl!!! It just amazes me how much changes in one year. I will hardly recognize my own nieces and nephew!!
 
Overall, it is a thrill being back here. It will not be easy, but I am so lucky to be serving with these wonderful people! My goal is to inspire a sense of urgency in the members here so that they find no excuse for fulfilling their missionary duties. "When all is said and done, if the world is going to be saved, we have to do it." (Church News)
As you can all tell, I am very excited!! This final stretch is when runners push their hardest, and I plan on doing no different. Thank you for all the love and support I feel. It really drives me to do the very best I can. Have a great week!!
 
Love, Elder Hogue

No comments:

Post a Comment