Saturday, October 26, 2013

September 16, 2013

Family and Friends,
 
This week just flew by!! I can't believe it.
 
Mom and Dad, I am jealous that you were able to go to the "Noche de Hispanidad" without me. Over here in New York, the multi-cultural Hispanic night is a big big hit. Last year in Bushwick we had over 250 people attend. It is a great missionary opportunity for the members. I was also jealous of all the great food you got to eat without me. Tamales, atole, ceviche, horchata, enchiladas... man that just makes my mouth water. I remember before the mission how worried I was about being called Spanish speaking because I would have to eat all this weird Spanish food that I assumed I wouldn't like. Now just the thought of having to leave it all behind really makes me sad to the stomach.
 
As some of you might have seen on Facebook, I was tagged in a photo of me standing under a booth that said "Meet the Mormons in Queens". Well in Woodside every summer there is a street fair and the church bought a plot to put up a booth. That happened last Saturday. We had pictures of Christ, all the service we've provided to the community and during Sandy, and a big canvas in back that said "Family is _____." We had people in the street fair come into the booth and sign the canvas with what family means to them. It was a great opportunity to get out of obscurity in the community. We met a lot of great people and had good discussions with them.
 
Speaking of Facebook, it is going well. President wants us on for an hour each day. It is at times difficult to fill the hour with meaningful activity but we are reconnecting with less actives and non members. There was a really cool experience that happened last week actually. One of my friends from BYU facebooked me and told me that she had a brother that was living in my area!! He hadn't been to church for a while, and she was excited at the prospect of us going and visiting him. I was able to contact him and set up an appointment for last Saturday. Unfortunately we had a leadership meeting so I wasn't able to go visit him, but the English elders stopped by and visited for a little while. The next day (yesterday) he came to the singles branch!! So we are already seeing how facebook will be a real strength to the work. If any of you ever have anyone that would be interested in chatting with me on facebook or skyping to learn more about what we believe, please let me know. We have nothing to lose!!
 
I got an interesting call last Friday. President informed me that I will not be in Woodside next transfer. He also informed me that I will not be a Zone Leader anymore. He is giving me a special assignment to be with a young missionary that has had some rough patches so far in the mission. We will be blinded in (lingo for both of us going into a different pool together) and Prez said that we will be out in the "country". Now anyone who knows New York south mission geography would also know that there are but a few places in the entire mission that could be considered "country". Turns out Riverhead is one of them. Could it be???? I am thrilled at the prospect of returning for my last transfer. We shall see tomorrow. (and I will be updating my "current location" on facebook to wherever I move so you will most likely know a lot sooner than next Monday)
 
I cant believe my mission is coming so close to an end. Six rapid weeks await me. I am so excited!!!! I know that this work is real and that through the atonement of Christ all men may be healed from sin and affliction! Love you all!!
 
Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment