Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Broad Channel


Dear Everyone,
 
Words just do not suffice. This week has been a once in a life time experience. We did service the entire week. We focused our efforts on broad channel. The locals here daily refer to us as "heros" "angels" and "rockstars". I wish I could just throw all of my experiences into this email so that you could get a taste of what we are experiencing.
 
Bit by bit Broad Channel is improving. But it is a slow bit by bit. There's only about 3000 people in this community but absolutely everyone knows who we are and loves us. Us yellow shirts feel famous here. But the weird thing is that this experience has only made us more humble. I have really began to understand a bit better the pure love of Christ. We are able to do things for people in an afternoon that would take them months to complete. For example, with the terrible flood that came crushing through Broad channel, every single basement has been thrown into shambles. There are quite a few old people that live here by the way. (in many ways this community reminds me of John Day). These people would have no means of cleaning up everything by themselves. But once we come in, the work gets done. I think I have heard the quote "many hands make light work" at least a thousand times. These people are so very grateful. And it is the absolute best feeling in the world knowing that we contributed to their happiness. As a missionary I have never been hugged by so many women haha. I'm excited for next summer because all the locals say they want us to come back and visit them. Its going to be fantastic!
 
I dont mean to brag or anything but my child, Elder Wiklinson, is on the front page of LDS.org. How cool is that!! I've raised him well haha. Mom I was so happy to hear that Donna wanted to take us out to lunch. We kind of really have our hands full right now but that was so sweet of her. Oh and that email was from Elder Lunts parents. I'm so sad that he goes home in December. As does two other members of my district. Makes me realize more and more how little time I truly have. Judging by how fast the past year went, I have barely any time at all!! I got the package! I heard audible oohs and ahhs from my padmates when I opened it. I think I have enough hot chocolate to last me the rest of the mission. And I thought the gloves was an excellent idea. Now all I need is some good spiritual Christmas music and I am absolutely set for this holiday season. Ernesto is doing well. He has been to church every week. He is so prepared it is amazing. Even we aren't the missionaries teaching him we still feel involved in his conversion.

Well. This week has been fantastic. Full of amazing awesomeness. I know that what we are doing will drastically change the lives of these people. I love you all so very much!!! Have a fantastic week.

Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment