Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

Dear friends and family,

I'm famous!!! I knew this time would come. Granted it was only about thirty seconds and granted I was only in the background but still! Pretty cool, eh? 

This week has been packed to the brim of service. We have had plenty of volunteers from the northeast coast come and participate over the weekend. Just in Broad Channel there were about 25 missionaries and 60-70 other volunteers for Saturday and Sunday. These member volunteers are coming anywhere from within the mission limits, Manhattan, and even Boston. Being the "locals" of the group, us missionaries got to be team leaders for the individual parties that went out and cleared the houses for people. It was a very interesting experience. Most of the time, Elder Wilkinson and I were the youngest of the group. There were bishops and stake presidents out there volunteering. So we got to tell them what to do haha :D But in all seriousness, it helped me understand a very interesting principle about the church. The Lord is no respecter of persons. We are all God's children and it really doesn't make one better than another to have a "higher up" calling in the church. When it all comes down to it, no matter who we are we must put our shoulder to the work and serve.

I had the wonderful opportunity to help remove a pigeon coop. Now this was no ordinary coop. It was a very poopy coop. A very poopy and soggy coop. I dont know if you understand what happens when bird poop (especially from pigeons) mixes with salt water and sits for a week or so. It becomes very smelly. No, thats an understatement. I felt like Alma and his sons when they encountered the Rameumptom because when I got a whiff of that poop I was astonished beyond all belief. I used to thing wet dog, soiled diaper, and rotten eggs smelled bad. I was wrong. After holding back tears and stifling a gag, I put my shoulder to the shed and went to work. Through these past few weeks I have gotten pretty decent with a crow bar. We have been doing a bunch of demolition. And I must say it is terrifically fun to absolutely demolition something that caused my nose to shrivel up and nearly fall off. But the coolest part of this entire experience wasn't getting back at that darn coop. 

As we talk to the lady who owns this house and backyard, she explains to us that her dad had recently passed away and left the house and everything else to her. Once Sandy hit, her entire backyard, basement, and first floor were ruined. There was no way that she could have possibly been able to fix this by herself. I've come to understand that what we are doing blesses people so much more than we can understand. We are doing things for people that they cannot accomplish on their own. And that gives me one of the most gratifying feelings I have ever received. It truly reminds me of the Atonement. We cannot accomplish perfection on our own. Its just impossible. But through Christ's service, charity, and sacrifice, there is a way! It has been a slow but powerful realization to me that through this disaster relief God is teaching me something very important that will stick with me for forever. The more I serve others, the more I feel the powerful emotions that Christ must have felt as well. My testimony has only significantly strengthened as I have lived through this. I know that the church I represent is different. Through us, Christ's love has been able to touch so many people. And I know that each and every one of us can be that example to others. I love you all so much!!!

Warmly, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment