Monday, November 26, 2012

Service is So Much Fun!

Dear All.

Well, guess what I did this week.... Yup! More service!! The work continues here in New York. People are still in need and we still get to help them. I'm kinda sorry but this week its going to be a kinda short email considering we have been doing the same thing for a month now haha. 

That's actually pretty weird to think about. The storm hit almost a month ago. But these past four weeks have been some of the most impacting times of my life. This week we worked in Broad Channel, Coney Island, and Staten Island. I have to say, working in Broad Channel is my favorite because everyone there has kind of claimed us as their own family. Its pretty darn cool. We have been clearing out backyards, basements, first floors, taking out sheet rock (which I have actually gotten pretty decent at if I do say so myself), ripping up floorboards, and a bunch of other odd jobs. This has given me some pretty good life experience. 

Something pretty sweet is that members from all over have been able to come out here to help. Yesterday we worked with members from Pennsylvania and Texas and I have met members from Boston, New Jersey, and Connecticut. In fact, the New York North missionaries even came down from the Bronx to help out. I'll send a picture of who I ran into while working in Broad Channel. Pretty cool!

 As far as missionary work goes, we haven't had much time to go out and proselyte. We usually get back to our pads around six or seven and then we still have to shower and get ready! It's tough stuff. But I truly believe that the Lord will really bless us because of this service.

Thanksgiving was super super fun.Luckily, President mandated that we all played football on Thursday. (It helps that President Calderwood played college ball for Northwestern) It was good, no one got inju...... seriously injured. I got a nice scrape on the knee from the turf we were playing on but nothin bad. I made a few good touchdown throws so that was fun haha. Of course we ate a tooooooon of food. Those Hispanics really like to fill ya up. So we had a couple good turkey dinners. It was a really nice holiday.

As Christmas approaches it reminds me of all the family traditions we have. Its super super suuuuuper weird to think that this is my last christmas in the mission. Being over the year mark hump its going to be full of a bunch of lasts from this point on. Obviously I miss you all a ton but I am super excited for my first and only Christmas out in the field (considering my last one was in the MTC). I know that as this holiday approaches we will be able to turn the hearts of these people to the Lord.

I love you all and miss you all!! I am really doing well. I absolutely looooooove the mission. Sorry, but I'm at the point where I'd rather be here than home right now haha. I know that I am changing soooo much and it feels really good. Thank you for all the support and love!

Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment