Monday, December 26, 2011

Surprise!!

Feliz Navidad!!!

Though I wont be able to call, I get to write a short email home on this Christmas evening. Today has been quite the day. Not a typical Christmas, and I miss being home very much, but all is well. Mother, I recieved your package Friday evening. Thank you so much for the wonderful tie, tie tack, stamps, tim tams, and most especially the photo albums. I've had the pictures close to my side all day, keeping my family and friends as near and dear as possible because I am spending this Christmas apart. Last night, the MTC presidency played the old "Christmas Carol" for all the missionaries. (The one with the old guy.... something Scott I think is the actor's name). Wasn't a Muppet's Christmas Carol, but it sufficed. Today has been good. We had a massive sacrament meeting, with the sacrament being passed to 2120 missionaries in about 15 minutes total. And then the presiding General Authority, Elder David A. Bednar, gave a marvelous talk on true conversion to the Lord. That has been my most favorite part of the day yet. The meals have been somewhat depressing, granted it is Christmas and most of the meal staff is home with family. So I completely understand. Just watched a 1 1/2 hour Motab broadcast featuring some singer named Sissel. It was good, but i had trouble staying awake because of the chronic exhaustion felt at the MTC. At 7 there will be a christmas devotional, followed by a film (I'm guessing they'll have us watch Mr. Kreuger's Christmas) and that'll be the day. I dearly hope you all have experienced a marvelous Christmas thusfar.

I will not lie, it has been rough being away from family on this occasion, but I will not feel sorry for myself. The reason I am here is to serve the Lord with all my heart, might, mind, and strength. As I endeavor to become truly converted to the Lord, I learn of how little this mission is about me, and how very much it is about completing the Savior's will. Though I do not fully understand the true nature of the Atonement of our Brother Jesus Christ, I do understand that my purpose is to bring souls unto him and help them apply the effects of this atonement in their lives. Elder Bednar said that I will be the greatest convert to the Savior on my mission, but only if I forget myself and lead others to Him. I tend to think of myself too much at the expense of missing chances to help others. I know that one of the greatest ways I or anyone can come unto the Lord is through true charity, turning outward when the natural man would turn inward. When circumstance aren't going my way, it can be so easy to just feel pity for myself. But my older Brother, Jesus Christ, never did that. He was always turning outward to help those in need. I know that one of the greatest gifts I can give Him for the duration of my mission and my life is to turn outward when I would so naturally turn inward. If I forget myself and go to work, I know the Lord will bless so many people in the New York area. I cant see the full extent of my actions, but Christ can. I have a firm testimony that He will guide me and comfort me as I seek to complete His will. Though even if I gave everything to Him, I know I would still not even come close to repaying Him for the greatest gift mankind has recieved. But that fact will not stop me from doing all I can to accomplish His will.

Family and Friends, I love you so very much. I exhort you to think of Christ in everything you do, even after the holiday season. This will lead you to outward actions that bless the lives of others. In doing so, the Lord will bless you because of your faithfulness and willingness to come unto Him. Never forget the Savior. If you dont have a testimony of His love and Atonement, actively do all you can to seek it. And if you do have a testimony of it, actively do all you can to apply it to your life. I promise that the Lord will pour out His blessings as we come unto Him. He love us so very much.

Thank you for being magnificent examples. I hope your Christmas has been fabulous and that this day has come unto Him even more. I will email on Saturday (being my final p-day in the MTC). I love you all, and talk to you soon :)

Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment