Monday, May 6, 2013

Happy Cinco de Mayo

Hey Everyone!
 
This was a pretty good/unorthodox week in the mission field.
 
Believe it or not, there are plenty of mexicans here but absolutely none of them celebrate cinco de mayo. Turns out this day is actually to commemorate a battle that happened in one of the states of Mexico, Puebla. So most Mexicans dont even know that it is a celebrated holiday, let alone in the American culture. So sad to say, there was no cinco de mayo celebratin going on. But I was definitely quietly celebrating Hilly's 22nd (man she's old).
 
This week was an eventful week. I got to go alllllll the way out to Riverhead!! That was quite a surprise. I also got to drive a huge 15 seater van full of house supplies, this being my first time I had driven in 10 months. If one has ever tried driving a huge fifteen seater van through the middle of New York you'll know what kind of fear I was confronting haha. But after many a prayer we got through it. We were sent there on a mission to help set up a new pad out there. So that was fun. I got to see other missionaries and have a wicked fun shopping experience at Ikea (yep, I got lost). So that was pretty fun but took up basically all the day.
 
Another cool experience this week was Mission Leadership Counsel on friday. All the zone leaders had a meeting with President Calderwood. What he was teaching came directly from a meeting he had with Elder Christofferson. What a treat! Too bad i dont have my notes or I would expound. But that was really really good. There are some awesome changes going on in the mission soon (like working more effectively with the members) and I am excited to see the fruits.
 
Missionary work wise, it was a semi challenging week. We are having a minor drought of people to teach. That is why we are trying to work super super hard with the members. As mom definitely knows from her recent experiences, working through the members is the best way to bring others into the waters of baptism. So we will see how that goes this next week.
 
This is the last week of the transfer, but it sounds like Elder Heaps and I will be staying together for his last transfer in the mission. I am gonna work him into the ground (mwah hahahaha). Hopefully we can really get stuff to start picking up so that he can have some fantastic experiences before he leaves.
 
Well, I love you all tons. I'll talk to you next week!!
 
Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment