Monday, May 20, 2013

Real Progress

Dear Everybody,
 
This week we have seen some real progression in our area.
 
I am super duper uber stoked for the wedding on saturday! Tho I shall not be there in physicality (i dont think thats a real word), I shall be there in heart and spirit. I'm sure by now Sean full well knows what he is getting himself into as he joins the Hogge clan... What a brave soul. I know this will be an experience that they will never forget. In other news, it sounds like mindy, jon, joey and jules are making a combined push to match sarah and aaron. I'll have gone from 3 nieces and nephews before I left, to 6 by the end of the year!! A lot changes in two years I suppose. 
 
This was a marvelous week for a couple reasons. One, we got a great visit from a general authority. And two, we had an unexpected call from a less active and his non member amigo.
 
Thursday through Saturday, Elder Paul E. Koelliker of the first quorum of the seventy made a visit to our mission. We have nine zones in our mission so friday, we (zone 4), zone 5 and zone 6 had a mega zone conference. Elder Koelliker had all the zone leaders come an hour early for a special leaders meeting. It was very cool and humbling having an intimate meeting focused on us from a Seventy. We had an open discussion about some of the things that would make us better leaders and push the mission forward. It was fantastic. Afterwards we had the general meeting with all the zones. We learned how powerful prayer can be for investigators. We were promised by elder Koelliker that if we made prayer a priorty and really taught them well the power of prayer, baptisms in this mission would double. that was pretty cool to hear. I took a lot of great insight from that meeting. After all the sessions were done that day, Elder Heaps needed to get his temple reccomend renewed with President Calderwood. It just so happens that when he and president went into the office, it was me and Elder Koelliker left outside to wait!!! I believe this was the first time I had ever had an opportunity to strike up a conversation with a General Authority so I jumped at the opportunity. After exchanging pleasantries with him, we started talking about my plans for when I go home. I mentioned that I wanted to work in the temple when I get back but I didn't know how to "enlist". He explained the process and then counselled me to start working in the sacramento temple as soon as I got home. I think it would be wise to heed to his advice haha. After about ten minutes of conversation,  the interview ended. We said our farewells and Elder Heaps and I went on our way. Though it was a simple ten minutes, it was a conversation I will never forget.
 
The second great experience was completely unexpected. And it was actually on the same day as the mega zone conference. That night we had a family night at the church with some of the members of the ward. At the end of the family night, I got received a call from a number from pennsylvania. Perplexed at the lack of people from pennsylvania I speak to, I answered the phone. A member starts speaking to me in spanish on the other end. He notes that he had just recently moved from pennsylvania with a friend and they had become lost in the city. As they had but the slightest clue as to where to go or what to do, this member noticed an English class poster that we had put up the day before. Recognizing the church logo, he jumped at the prospect of connecting with the missionaries. So we got this call and met up with Sergio (the member) and Pedro (the non member). The explained that circumstances had been tough and Pennsylvania left no more opportunities to stay. Many hispanics believe that coming to the United States offers a greater life with greater benefits, but sadly for some such is not the case. Unfortunately, they have had to live in a shelter until they can find somewhere to work to be able to pay for rent. But Sergio's long drought of inactivty had been cured by this humbling experience for him. He and Pedro came to church on Sunday and we were able to provide comfort through prayer and the book of mormon. Pedro at first seemed rough around the edges, but he is warming up to us. He sees how willing the church and God are to help him and I believe he will grab hold of the gospel. Everything is still developing and they are still trying to get on their feet, but the hope is that soon enough the church can help them out. It has been a whirlwind of an experience.
 
As seen, this week has included some interesting experiences. I have really enjoyed everything that is happening and this next week we have some great people to teach. Today for P-day I believe we will be playing games at the church. I am really excited for how this week will go. I wish all of you the best of luck back home and I am pumped to hear about the wedding next monday. Talk to you soon!!
 
Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment