Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Solid Week

Family and Friends,

This was a solid week. Not a ton happened, but its by the small things that great things come to pass. 

So I feel like for one of the first times in a long time I was the first to know some big news haha (props to Joe and Jules). It sounds like Mushi (think thats what dad penned as the womb name) is well anticipated by the family. Our family is getting much much bigger. By the time I get home, we will have three new additions (mushi, sean and trudy). Man that is so exciting!!! 

As said before, this week was semi-uneventful. We are working with some part member families right now and we are doing all we can to get the investigator families we have been working with to progress. It is so frustrating when the adversary gets in the way of eternal families. Satan has a huge grip on New York at this point. Almost everyone here is so devoted to work that they fear the immediate consequences of putting it off for God. But we know that powerful testimonies can rock their faith enough to effect a change within them.

The past couple days have been really cool. Saturday, Elder Heaps and a few other missionaries sang in an octet for an interfaith christian gathering over in Jamaica Queens. The meeting was held in a really cool episcopal cathedral. I definitely got some new cultural experience as different churches performed their pieces, of which included a senior gospel choir, an interpretive dance by children, and an amazing rendition of ode to joy on organ by a 15 year old. Our group sang I Believe in Christ. It was by far the most spirit-inviting part. After that they walked around with the plates for offerings (I was sitting on the edge so now I'm two bucks down haha) and then Elder Heaps and I had to go. What an interesting experience. I am not accustomed to hearing applause in a chapel (nor christian rock for that matter) but it was interesting nevertheless.

 The next day the octet of missionaries sang at the dedication of a new chapel in our mission. We got to head out to Long Island last night for that. President Calderwood gave a beautiful dedicatory prayer (because this area is still part of a district as opposed to a stake). I really enjoyed that. As we were heading back to the subway, Elder Heaps got owned by a pigeon and its poop (this is the third time on the mission that the person next to me has been pooped on). He got hit on his head, shoulder, collar, backpack, pant thigh, pant leg, and shoe. It was just amazing how evenly this bird nailed him. I came out unscathed, but unfortunately Elder Heaps was wearing his brand new suit. We will see how well the dry cleaners combat pigeon poo.

Well thats about it for this week. I am sooooo happy for all the super cool stuff that is going on back home. This thursday is my 18 month mark (goodbye sister mission). Time just gets faster and faster. Its pretty weird. But luckily all I have to worry about is working hard and being faithful. I love you all!! Have a great week!

Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment