Monday, October 1, 2012

Conference is Coming!!!

Hello,

How are you all doing this lovely October? I sure love this time of year! The weather has been fresh and the Work is moving forward.

I've felt so loved, receiving three packages in the past couple weeks! I got grandma's dear elder package (those cookies are a HIT) and I got my birthday package. Score!! Mom sure knows how to put together a good package. See those frisbee golf discs brought me way back. There's a park in brooklyn so I'm gonna try to convince the elders to go out there with me some time. I've yet to open that wrapped gift in mom's package. I'll save that one for the 9th. I usually prefer not to talk about misson time, but as I'm about to complete my 20th birthday I realize my year mark is not to distant. A couple days ago in the mail I got a letter from the mission informing me that my annual temple trip will be on the 10th of October. Talk about belated birthday present!!! I am soooooo ecstatic! 

So I've reached the point in the mission where I feel pretty solid with my spanish. Its really entertaining at times to talk to hispanics because they've begun asking what country I'm from (as if it wasnt obvious that I'm American). I think one of the absolute best things about being a new york missionary is that I get to meet people from almost every hispanic country in the world. Up to this point I've met people from The Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Argentina, Chile, and Spain. I lack para- and uruguay, beliz and bolivia. Some of my favorite dishes so far are sopes from Mexico, Baleadas from Honduras, Papusas from El Salvador, and of course tostones and morir sonando from The Dominican Republic. I would absolutely LOVE to visit some of the places throughout the duration of my life. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to serve around these people. I LOVE the culture sooooo much. (even including the seemingly endless supply of beans). 

The work is going well here. At times tough, but well. Sergio is doing well (its been super tough to meet with him) and we've been able to pick up some new investigators along the way. Sad thing happened tho... Damaris texted us on saturday that she wanted to stop her investigation of the church. Thats the only news we've heard about her recently. Mega bummer. I really have no clue why. But I gotta keep my hopes up that one day she will come around.

My life is just so blessed its impossible not to see the work of the Master's hand. Things get tough, but life marches on. In Malachai 3:3 the Lord is spoken of as a refiner and purifier of silver. The way silver becomes refined and purified is if it is held in the hottest part of the flame by the Smith. Though the silver hurts, and it wants so badly to be removed from all trial and pain, the Purifier keeps on going. The only way the Smith knows that the silver has completed the refining process is when the silver is so pure that the The Maker can see his own face reflecting from the surface. That is the Lord's ultimate work and glory. To make us like Him. To give us the necessary heat to allow his own face to shine in our countenance. I know this work is real, that Joseph Smith is a prophet, and that this gospel is a gospel of peace and joy. I know that my Redeemer Lives!

Love, Elder Hogge

P.s. Willie this is a call out. Email me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment