Monday, April 16, 2012

Up and Down Week

Family and friends.

Wow, the mission is such a roller coaster haha. Makes for quite a ride.

I'll start off by answering moms questions:

How's the weather there?
The weather is great!! The trick is actually staying cool enough here. Its been in like the seventies for the past little while. SUuuuuper humid. Not used to that yet.

How was ultimate Frisbee?
We actually ended up playing Football instead. That was super fun. If you are able to come pick me up, we will have to stop by prospect park for sure. Its a Huuuuuuuge park.

Were you able to play handball last week?
Because there are courts everywhere, and I really do mean on every street, We usually get to play every p-day. I'll hafta teach you guys when I get back.

Did your JDawg sauce make it ok?
Yes the JDawg sauce made it great. Sooooo delicious.

Did you get your SD card?
Yep, made It safe and sound

Have you tried your hot fudge cake yet?
I havent made it yet. I'll certainly get to it soon though. But I did make the chocolate peanut butter squares. Oh man I was in heaven haha. Everyone in my zone loved them and Elder Warhurst is making me do them this week again haha.

Is there anything from home you'd like me to send in May?
Not that I can think of. Just lots of love :) I saw a kid wearing my TMNT pjs in Greenpoint!! That was a surprise. But I love those pants so much haha. (wear them every night)

Do you need a copy of the Conference issue of the Ensign?
Nope, each companionship gets the copy every month.

So, this week had some ups and downs.
Somethin really cute happened while waiting for an elevator in a project building. A mom and her son walked into the building and the little kid saw us. He looked up to his mom and said, "Who are those guys all dressed up?" As she walked into the other elevator, she remarked "They're soldiers for Jesus." That experience made me super happy. We really are fighting for God with the swords of our testimonies.

Somethin really sad happened this week as well. We went to Zaida's place to teach her on saturday. After talking to her for a bit, she finally mustered up the courage to tell us that she is not going to get baptized. My heart just dropped. That was the saddest I've felt on the mission so far. She knows that its all true, she has told us. But she just doesnt want to change some things. I was SO FRUSTRATED!! I just wish I could make her change so that she could finally feel the blessings of the gospel. But alas, One of God's greatest gifts (alliteration!) to us is our agency. Its just so hard to see someone you love not make the choices you know will bless them. I think I had caught a glimpse of being a parent.

But, something good DID happen this week. Wooooh! We were able to have a couple lessons with Rosa and Angelo (the 11 yr old) last week. And on Saturday, we committed them to baptism! WEll, its not super set in stone, and Rosa still has some things to figure out, but they are progressing. I'm so excited for them!! Tonight we are going to go over and teach them the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Its gonna be super fun. The really hard part is gonna be getting Rosa to church because she works on Sudays. So I'm not really sure how to deal with that but with the Lord's help I know that we can figure something out.

So this has been a crazy week for sure. But what do ya expect, its New York. And I LOVE IT!! I couldnt imagine going to any other mission. I have such a testimony that the Lord sends us exactly where we are supposed to be. I LOVE president Nelson. Its gonna be so sad seeing him leave in June. But he has taught me so much and I have so much respect for him.

One thing the mission has really focused on together is "applying the atonement in our own lives and in the lives of the people we teach" (New York New York South 2012 Vision). I've noticed that the more I help other people change their lives, the more I realize how much I can and need to change my own life. The atonement is such a wonderful thing! I always use the scripture Alma 7: 11-14. I know this gospel is for everyone!!

I love you all so much. Gotta go!!

Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment