Monday, April 9, 2012

Sacrament Meeting

Family and Friends.

This past week was full of good experiences. All is well and I am loving the mission. So I told all you about the changes going on in our branch. We took in one and a half other spanish branches. I was kind of nervous yesterday to see what the attendance would be like. In bushwick before, we would usually have and average of about 50 people. As 1 o'clock approached, more and more people were coming into the chapel. I was getting excited. By the end of sacrament meeting, the count had been 168 people!!! That was one of the happiest feelings I've had on my mission so far. To see a little branch triple in size is a blessing in deed. Fast and testimony meeting was really good. Though some people are sad to be leaving their friends, there is an air of excitement here. I'm so excited to see the strength in numbers build up the members. And for the dinner list this week, Elder Warhurst and I aren't going a single day without eating at a members house!!! (just a little added bonus) So I am so thankful for what the Lord has provided for the members here. I know that the work here will be blessed as well.

Last night, we ate at the house of some of our investigators. Their names are Loli and Feliz. Loli is super talkative and loves practicing her English with us. Feliz is a very quiet fellow. The first time we met with them, Loli told us we must come for dinner so that she could feed us. Very friendly. But they said they dont have much time to study the gospel. We will see how it goes.

On the mission, we do something called Look-Ups. Its when we dont have an appointment with someone, so we just look up people in the area book to knock on their door hoping they are there to see if we can set up an appointment. Last thursday, we looked up this one former from a long time ago. Knocked on the door, and she let us in!! I was surprised. We got to know them a bit. Her name is Rosa Cabral. She lives with her two sons, Angelo (11) and Andy (5). They are from the Dominican Republic. So we talked with them for a bit and then taught the Restoration. They seemed to like it alot. Though Rosa reminded us a few times that she is evangelical haha. But the lesson went really well and we asked Angelo to give the closing prayer. After we wrote down the steps for praying in his book of mormon for him, he offered the closing prayer. It was so sincere and heartfelt! After he ended, he told us that this was the first time he had ever prayed and he felt really happy. Such a great experience. We plan to go back wednesday night.

Today we are headed to prospect park as a zone to play ultimate frisbee. Im super excited. (dont worry mom, this park is in a nice area of brooklyn) One of my favorite things about New York is Handball. Everyone plays it here. All you need is a raquetball, and a wall. Pretty simple but super fun. In almost every park here there are handball courts. The missionaries love playing it. Im gettin pretty ok at it haha. But the coolest thing about handball is that it was started here in brooklyn and queens. Just a little piece of New York fun for you all.

Last week, I got the packages from mom, gramma buck, and the elk grove ward youth! I was so stoked to get all that! Packages are the absolute best! Love it so much haha. It really is like christmas when I get stuff in the mail. I feel so loved here :D

Well, time ticks away. Thank you so much for all your support and love. The mission is tough, but full of blessings. Something I like to remember is that the Work is accomplished through me, not because of me. The Lord is allowing me to be a part of this marvelous work and a wonder. I love you all!!

Love, Elder Hogge

P.s. I'm so glad to hear taylor can bend now!! he might as well enroll in a yoga class now ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment