Monday, September 17, 2012

Wow!

Dearest family and friends,

The subject explains it all. This week has been jam packed with new experiences. So, I bet you want to hear about my new companion. As noted last week, he is fresh from the MTC. His name is Elder Wilkinson and I love him!! Just to give you an idea, he is six foot two, two hundred fifteen pounds. He is a giant compared to me haha. He hails from Albuquerque, New Mexico (possibly the first person from new mexico that I've met) and he is supported by a great family. He has five siblings(sound familiar?). Two brothers and three sisters(sound familiar?). His dad is the second counselor in the stake presidency(sound familiar?). He plays college football for university of new mexico (redshirted last year) and we just found out that he is on the new NCAA Football videogame haha. But his physical stature doesn't compare to his spiritual. He is soooooooooo excited about the gospel. He always gets so pumped when we are fearlessing people. He's a fantastic teacher as well. We make an awesome team.

Going to Ridgewood has been amazing. I'm so humbled by the responsibility of a new missionary and a new area.  I'm so happy that the Lord and President Calderwood trust me with this sacred priviledge. Because we are both new, we have a fresh look on the area. We have been fearlessing a lot and knocking a lot of doors. We are just starting to get to know the members in the area, active as well as less active. Because we have both been mega-diligent, the Lord has seen it fit to bless us with someone who has accepted a baptismal commit. The second night we were here, we looked up some potentials. One of them told us to come back that saturday. So on saturday we brought a member to visit Damaris, a 17 year old Dominican girl that seems to be very prepared. As we were getting to know her, she mentioned that she was in the process of figuring out which church would bless her the most. We were glad to offer all that the gospel had in store. After a solid testimony by the member, we committed Damaris to the 14th of October. Now the true test is to see if she will start coming to church consistently. Once she shows the Lord that she is willing to commit to coming each week, He will bless her with a solid answer that this is the true church. I just know it.

The twelve week program has been absolutely amazing. I've been learning so much from it. Getting that extra hour each day to help Elder Wilkinson and our investigators has really helped me understand what more I can be doing as a missionary. We have great gospel discussions during this time. We also do a lot of practice teaching. Its very interesting how the Lord can provide us with revelation on specific needs of investigators when we are only practicing the lessons on each other.

I think last transfer prepared me a ton for what this transfer will bring. Because at times I wasnt able to work as hard as I would have liked to the past transfer, It gives me even more fire for just being able to get out there and do it with a ready and willing companion. Learning more about charity has only magnified my relationship with Elder Wilkinson. I can tell that the Lord has always had specific plans for me, even when It was tough. Reminds me of a certain currant bush at times. But the Lord knows what I can handle. 

Sounds like the family is doing great. That little Jackjack is a kick in the pants haha. Im excited that joe and jules have that new pad. Seems pretty legit. Oh, by the way how is brother Newton doing? please give him my regards.

I love you all! This gospel is the best, literally. There is so much counterfeit religion here in new york. I'm glad the Lord has revealed the truth to His prophet. Makes life so much easier to know the truth. Have a great week!!

Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment