Saturday, July 21, 2012

Oodles and Oodles of Fun

Howdy all!!

What a wonderful week it sounds like the family (especially mom) had. I can tell that this summer has been packed with oodles and oodles of fun. This was a pretty regular week for me.

Elder Verhagen got the stomach flu this week. Which means that there was a lot of time being stuck at the pad. You dont really understand the blessing of being able to work until you gotta stay home. So that kind of took him out of commission off and on for a few days this week. But let your hearts be at rest because he is up and going now. So that was just a little blurp in the work this week.

We've had a lot of fun recently. There is a lot of work to be done out here in Riverhead. We've slowly but surely been working with Fernando, Karla, and Patrick. We weren't able to sit down and meet with them last week because they've had family in town. Ooh here is a fun fact: I have been to two baby showers this week... Which is two more than I had ever been to before my mission. Funny how that works. But hey, there was hispanic food so I cant complain. Karla's baby is due within the next couple months I think so they had a big party for that. Its always fun getting to support investigators like that. Unfortunately they couldnt make it to church... that was a bummer. But we have high hopes for the future.

Oh, so something tragic happened last week. I'm pretty sure I've told you all about Susan and Robert. Well, Robert passed away about five days ago. It's been super hard on Susan. We haven't even been able to talk to her yet just because of how much stuff is going on. But luckily, the relief society was able to help. Sister Stenquist and Sister Jolliver were able to talk to Susan for a bit at her door and tell her how much the church can help at a time like this. Though this has been a tragic experience for her, I know that the Lord is preparing her for something so much better.

This week I have done a little study of the Doctrine and Covenants. I haven't read very much in depth, but the senior missionary couple in the area has loaned me the Doctrine and Covenants study guide for religion class. It is such a cool book. It has tons of quotes from general authorities. I was able to kind of research some different things. But the number one idea that has really stuck out to me is how much modern day revelation there has been!! No wonder there had to be a full on Restoration. No reformation could possibly bring back to the earth as much doctrine as necessary.

 I'm so glad to see that Grandma West is still going strong. She just looks lovely in that picture, mom. Make sure to tell her I love her next time you talk to her. 

Thats basically it for this week. I love you all so very much!!

Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment