Monday, March 11, 2013

Improvement

Dear Everyone,

In this past week, I have seen an amazing amount of improvement within myself and the area. It has been really cool to see. It takes a lot to see real growth within oneself, but it sure is rewarding to see.

I'm so excited to hear about all the new missions opening up! It is just fantastic to see the work to progressing so quickly. And I'm so excited to hear all about the missionaries from our very own stake heading off. Its funny to think about because they really have no idea what it is going to be like until they get there, and boy is it something different. It is definitely harder than one can ever expect. But if it were easy it wouldnt be rewarding haha. And I am glad that people back home still remember me :) I sure miss everyone a lot, but that feeling doesn't phase me anymore. It's more of a feeling of excitement. Absence makes the heart grow fonder I guess. 

As for this week, Elder Ibarra and I have been working our hineys off. Lots of fearlessing, lots of door knocking, lots of calling. Bit by bit we are starting to see progression. But one of the absolute best things about the mission is that success is determined by our commitment to find, teach, and baptize those who have been prepared for the Lord. Our personal success as a missionary is independent of the agency of other people. Sure it is great to see other people come unto Christ through us, but the Lord has specifically told missionaries through Preach My Gospel that doing the work with a willing and obedient heart is what will bring the most success in the mission. That's something that all of us missionaries in the zone have been learning. President is trying to stop all of us from being so prideful in focusing on the numbers aspect of the mission. I know that I am seeing that change within myself. It's funny cuz the more we stop focusing on numbers, the more natural the numbers come. President is a smart man haha. 

So last week, Elder Ibarra and I chased down a Hispanic lady with a little kid and a stroller. We gave our short but powerful message that the gospel can change the lives of her and her family, and she had a willing heart. We were able to visit her, her husband, and her two boys on Saturday. It was really exciting to see. Here in New York City it is pretty tough to find full families together. So we shared with them the family proclamation and committed them to read it together. We plan on coming back some time this week and teaching them how to apply what they are learning. Their names are Fabiola and Rodrigo. I really hope they have a desire to keep learning more about the gospel. I know that this is the kind of growth that the Lord is looking for in His church here in New York.

Well it has been a great week. We are really committed to bringing others to Christ. I know that these people will be blessed as they heed our message.

Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment