Monday, January 7, 2013

January in New York City

Family and Friends,

Life is going well here in New York City. The Lord is truly blessing us for our efforts.

New Years eve was nice. Seeing as it was Pday, we hung out with the rest of the district, played games and whatnot. It was very relaxing. We had to stay in even past six because president didn't want us to be in harms way in any manner. So we celebrated the new year by drinking some arizonas at ten and then we hit the sack. Pretty eventful huh ;) I was nice and asleep and then at twelve I was rudely awakened by fireworks shaking the entire house!! The firemen across the street went crazy haha. I think I'll forgive them. Not an extremely new year but it will suffice :)

This week has brought some great blessings. The sunday before last, we noticed a new fellow at church. We went over to talk to him and come to find that he is the uncle of a super strong family in our branch. He had just moved here from Reno the day before. His name is Bruno, or as we like to call him, Tio. He decided to come to church with the family because he wanted a change of pace in life. As we led him around the church from class to class, he expressed the joy and peace he felt. Good signs, right? ;) Even though it was his first Sunday at church, he felt really comfortable. Last week, we were able to teach him and then yesterday, we went over to their house after church (which he attended again). There we talked about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. As I told him the first vision, I could see that he felt at peace with what we were teaching him. Elder Jensen went on to commit him to baptism. If all goes according to plan, he will be baptized on the 27th of this month. It was such a heart warming, happy experience. Bruno is really in tune with the spirit and I know that his own personal testimony is growing within. I'm so excited for him!!! Please pray that Bruno will be able to overcome any and all doubts, problems, or concerns that may confront him.

Wonderful experiences like those remind me why I am a missionary. There is absolutely nothing like participating in the conversion and salvation of others. As I do this, I feel a strengthening effect in my personal conversion. Last Wednesday was my year mark in New York City. I recognize that I have changed a lot, but I know I've still got a lot to go too. I am so grateful for this Gospel. I know that the atonement makes bad men good, and good men better. I see that especially here in New York. Thanks for all your support!! (and thanks for those wicked awesome .5 energel pentel pens. those got here fast!!))

Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment