Monday, December 10, 2012

Back to the Streets


Gooooooooood Mornin family and friends!
 
Well, we are officially done with official service for now. Which means its officially time to put down the yellow shirts and pick up the official white one. Kinda hard to have to let these people work on their own now, but I'm 100% sure that they dont want me trying to attempt the actual skilled labor that is now required.
 
Elder Eyring came and spoke to the Brooklyn stake on Sunday. It was funny listening to him tell a story and casually mention his dad who is actually in the First Presidency of the church. It was a really good session of conference. Primarily based on how we should be changed throught the events that have happened here. I personally believe that the long term effects of the storm will be positive for the welfare of these people here in New York and all that were involved. This seems like an event straight out of the Book of Mormon. I have never been a part of a heart turning experience like this on a community based level. This has to be the absolute best time and place to be a missionary.
 
And it is amazing to me how much personal change I have felt from this experience. I feel like now a days I react to things a lot differently that how I would have before the mission. The mission has been such a refining experience for me. I feel like being a blessing to others is the greatest blessing God can give to us. Its pretty nifty how God works like that. After going through all of this, I decided to do a study of Moroni Chapter 7. Oh man was that awesome. I have a different understanding of humility and charity now. Its impossible to explain but marvelous to go through.
 
Proselyting has been good. Its pretty tough making the transition, but such transition is 100% necessary. After busting down walls and decks for so long, I feel like I could just crowbar my way through any door in my area and make these people listen to this wonderful message. But alas, 'tis not so. Its time to put down my physical tools and take up my spirital armor.
 
This past week, Elder Wilkinson and I decided to pay a visit to a potential that we found last transfer. We knocked on the door and Johnathan (the potential) opened up. With a happy look on his face he casually told us "Man, I thought you guys forgot about me or somethin". Ya know, its pretty cool when you actually feel wanted haha. We had a really cool conversation (we couldnt get in the door cuz his gma was sleeping or something) and really got to know him. We set up a return appointment and came back on Sunday. It was an awesome experience. He is a senior in high school, is open minded, and is looking for the truth. Thats a recipe for conversion haha. He was really excited when we gave him the Book of Mormon cuz he had heard about it from a friend but never got to see what is really was. We committed him to read and pray and we have a return appointment with him on Saturday. I really believe that he has the heart to make the necessary changes in his life to come unto the Lord.
 
I'm super excited for what awaits Elder Wilkinson and me. We have a lot of potential and I know that the Lord us just waiting to pour out His blessings upon us as long as we are righteous. I absolutely love the work. Its the best thing ever!! I know that this gospel is real and powerful. Thank you for everything! Even for just reading my simple emails. Love you all!!
 
Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment