Monday, February 25, 2013

Yep, Dyker Heights

Dearest all,

This week was an interesting week but a very good one at that.

Elder Goates and I stayed together at transfer meetings. But on Thursday, we got an interesting call. I hear the phone ring and I notice that President Calderwood is waiting for me to answer. Its always kinda nerve wracking getting a call from prez. So I picked up the phone and I have a chat with him. Turns out he wanted to make some post-transfer changes in my district. So he informed me that our companionship would switch a missionary with another companionship in Coney Island. So the next day Elder Goates left to Coney and now I am here with Elder Ibarra. He is a native Mexican that speaks Italian and English. Also, this is his last transfer so I'm going to be "killing" him haha. He's a great missionary and I am so excited for this change. I feel like the Lord is really helping me out with a native companion. He knows how to touch the hearts of investigators. This is exactly what our pool needed.

English class has been going very well. We are getting an average of twenty non members a class. We are starting to see the blessings of this service we are providing. After class on Thursday, a student asked us if we could do some extra tutoring with him. His name is Francisco and he arrived in New York from Guatemala only a month ago. Being only 17 years old with just an uncle that he knows here, I believe he is looking for some sort of fellowshipping. So we asked him if he wanted to come to the church on Sunday to do an English lesson. He gladly accepted the invitation. So as we were teaching him english, at the church, on suuuunday, we mentioned that there were sabbath services about an hour after the class. He said he would love to come. So Francisco joined us for church on sunday. I think he really enjoyed it. Especially because he found someone from his same small town in Guatemala that speaks the same native tribal language as him. So that was really cool to see and I think we will see some good progression out of him.

All is going well right now in Dyker. We are having a lot of fun. I have a great district and we all really work hard. Oh, mom I got the mini spanish preach my gospel. Thank you soooo much!! Also, I dont think I have gotten the other package yet.... But all's good here. Sorry its gonna be kinda short because I am on the express computer at the library (too many people) but I love you all a ton!! Keep it oxyclean ;) (brooklyn lingo)

Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment