Monday, June 18, 2012

Happy Father's Day

Ode to Pops.

He's old and grey and pretty bald,
At General Conference once he fall'd.
He likes to frolf and is kinda funny, (just kidding!! really funny :) )
His made-up lyrics give you a run for your money.
But to me he's such a special guy,
And through this rhyme you'll figure out why.
His dedication to do what's right,
Has shown me what I want in life.
His love and faith and gentle care
With all, give me a reason to share:
That the number one thing that makes me glad,
Is that he's my pal, and he's my dad!!!

Happy Father's Day, Pops!!

Dearest Family and Friends.

I figured since we aren't granted with calls home I might as well do somethin good for dad. Hope he likes it!

Thanks for the update on home. Seems like the little girls are doing great!! I'm glad your putting them to work at such a young age to wash the corolla haha. Is Bradford using that thing yet? He needs to get his license or something. :p So basically, garlic knots are an east coast creation. I think back in the old days when pizzerias had extra dough, they rolled em up, tied them into knots, spread garlic and butter all over them, and put em in the oven. They are super delicious. But you west coast people wouldn't know ;) The weather here has been a-ma-zing!! Yesterday it was about 65 with a nice breeze. It's supposedly supposed to be super hot here in new york right now but that's not how this year has been. Im sure it'll start heating up in july or august. The winter was super mild so I guess the summer may be mild too. Hey, i aint gonna complain. 

Well this week was really good. There have been highs and lows, but I'm loving the missionary work so much out here in Riverhead. I suppose first order of business is to let you all know that Elder Lunt is getting transferred out tomorrow. That came as quite a surprise to me. I though we would stay together for another! But the Lord knows something else needs to happen instead. I have LOVED these six weeks with Elder Lunt. He has taught me so much about missionary work and about just being a good person in general. We have been doing so well here. Over the past six weeks, we were able to find 35 new investigators. The Lord is putting people in our paths!!! Its super tough to get people to church but I know someone will come eventually. Elder Lunt really helped me see that the Lord has people ready for us. I'm gonna miss him a lot but I know that my next companion will be awesome even though I still have no idea who it will be. Also, this is President Nelson's last transfer meeting... :(   He has been such an amazing mission prez!!! His love just radiates in everything he does. I'm going to miss him so much. He heads back home at the end of June. Its going to be so weird not having him here. Our new prez is President Calderwood (I think thats his name haha). But we hear he is a great guy so I know that its going to be really exciting.

We visited Susan and Robert this week. We taught the first half of the plan of salvation. They liked it, but sometimes its hard for Susan to pay attention because she is just so focused on Robert. The phrase "people dont care how much you know, until they know how much you care" really applies in this situation. We planned on doing some yard work for them on Saturday, but they ended up having to go to the hospital. We'll head over there tonight to see how they're doing. I've thought a lot about Grandpa Joe in this time. And mom I've thought an awful lot of the care and devotion you had for him. I had no idea how much work you really put into taking care of him. And that's charity through and through. I'm so lucky to have grown up in a household built upon a foundation of the love of Christ. The older I get out here in the mission, the better I truly understand the blessings that the Lord has given me. To have such a devoted mother and a dedicated father with the priesthood is something almost no one has in this world.

I know that the Lord loves each and every one of us so much!! He pours out blessings in abundance. The more grateful we are, the bigger our basket is to catch the blessings. The church is so true!! I love you all so much!

Love, Elder Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment